Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Just a bit about me...

Food, Inc.

I am a 42 year old home maker, full time student, and mother of two.

Just like you I don't have a lot of time on my hands. In between classes, chores, girl scout meetings, and homework I have to squeeze in time to make a few meals for the family. Since I have a two year old I have an extra selective eater in the house. I am fortunate to have a nine year old who is excited to try new things. She asked me to teach her to cook this summer which dovetails very neatly with this little project.

I also imagine that my budget is similar to most folks. That is, it is tight as a drum. We don't have money for "extras" like health care or mortgage payments.

I am always amused by well meaning budget advice that involves cutting things that haven't existed in this house since long before the recession. Cut out going to the movies? No problem! Did that like five years ago. Cancel cable, presto! It's gone as of.....2007. We have a cell phone month-to-month so we don't pay for long distance. We have the cheapest Internet plan out there. Anybody who knows us knows we aren't stashing jewels or fur coats in the mattresses. We live simply and cheaply.

Having deficits of money and health care are excellent reasons to be very careful about what we eat. Eating healthy saves on medical bills and it saves on grocery bills. That is the hope anyway. Tune in and see for yourself....

2 comments:

  1. I am right there with you! You sound as if you are talking about our lives. However...we have been forced into shopping at one of the most expensive grocery stores in town...Whole Foods...because of my daughters life threatening food allergies. Trying to buy cheaply there...but it isn't always easy! Cant wait to hear more on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey meant to say thanks for allerting me about the allergy issue! I will have to dedicate a special post to that! And thanks for looking!

    ReplyDelete