Monday, June 21, 2010

First blog about food

Alice in Wonderland
My intention with this blog is to find out how plausible it is to eat more cheaply at home than from fast food establishments. After seeing some fairly frightening documentaries about food, how it is made and what it is made into I decided to make some lifestyle changes. My main contention with all of these documentaries was the idea that eating at micketywhatwhats was cheaper than buying fresh food bought at the store and prepared at home.




To be honest, the documentaries weren't my only motivation. At 42 I have become decidedly plump. I definitely am a fan of fast food. I understand that it is fattening, I know its bad for my heart and I am vowing to systematically cut it out of my diet. I am not giving any chicken scratch excuses that I am fat because the fast food industry has duped me into believing their food is good for me. We all know deep down at the bottom of our fat clogged hearts this isn't true. There are a lot of things in my life I can't control. I can't control, death, taxes, or the price of gas. One of the only things I can reliably control is what I put into my own mouth.




So, now what? Now I will make periodic posts listing pictures and price breakdowns of various meals cooked in my own home. I intend to price compare with dollar menus and full price menu's of popular fast food joints. I make no claims about the calorie count or nutrition of my meals.




I am certain I will be eating healthier, but I also realize the futility of trying to eat 100 percent organic, nutritious home cooked meals. To start with I am well aware I am still up against genetic engineering, bio science, pesticides. I will make every effort to choose organic locally produced food whenever I can. And I sincerly hope that I can find and prove that no one need be a slave to fast food for the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment